Home of the Free - Because of the Brave

As we celebrate Veterans Day, my thoughts turn to those who choose to wear the uniform of a United States Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine.

So many brave men and women have fought for freedom, many paying the ultimate price.  If you have put on a uniform for your country, or have kept the home fires burning while your Hero was serving, thank you!

When I married my husband over 17-years ago, I couldn't have imagined what being a military wife would mean.  For a few years I would attend summer picnics, Christmas parties, and the occasional meeting for the Michigan National Guard families.  Other than those special events, my connection to the military was limited.

September 11, 2001 changed all of our lives, but for military families, the change was even more dramatic.  I remember walking out of my house that clear Tuesday morning and whispering aloud, "My husband is going to war."

And he did.

Twice I have kissed my husband goodbye and watched him leave to serve in the Middle-East. Those years were hard on all of us.  I attended military funerals, watched the news looking for reassurance that my husband was safe, and did my best as a temporary single mom.

I am so proud of my husband and the men and women who serve our  country. My heart swells with pride when I hear the National Anthem.  I cry every time they play TAPS.  Being a military wife has become part of who I am.

I am running for office because I want to protect the legacy of those who have fought and died for freedom and leave a country for my children that is worth fighting for. Below is a song that came out the right before my husband deployed in 2004.

For all those who have loved a Hero, this is for you.

     

Popular Posts